You know how Secret Santa can just be like, so awkward? I mean it’s one thing when it’s a fun gift exchange between close friends…. but what happens when the office gets involved? That ‘gag gift’ from the Stag Shop probably wouldn’t be so funny if you had to give it to your boss now, would it? (Then again, your boss might be that type of person, and in that case go for it!) So for all of you still struggling to think of the perfect gift for your co-worker or classmate, you’re lucky I’ve been procrastinating studying, because I’ve put together a list of my favourite Secret Santa gift ideas!
1. The iTunes Gift Card: This gift honestly cannot fail unless your receivee doesn’t own a computer – which would just be crazy. The great thing about iTunes is even if you don’t have an iPod or a great interest in music, you can still download books, movies, NEWSPAPERS, hey, you can even RENT movies for a fairly decent price! These cards are so non-offensive, and they never expire. So even on the off chance they never end up using it….. well then maybe their grandkids can.
2. Mugs: Before anyone laughs at this idea, give it a chance and check out the pretty pictures I included! Honestly, I can only hope that one day I have a cupboard full of unique, kitschy mugs that can spice up my tea drinking. They’re cheap, they look great, and you can fill them with chocolates for a double whammy! Plus, they allow for ultimate personalization – simply a mug with someone’s initials on it can still look as though you put a lot of thought into the gift.
3. HBC’s Olympic Collection Mitts: They’re on trend, but classic; unisex; and they show off your Canadian pride – who WOULDN’T like that though? These mitts come in baby to men’s sizes, so it’s easy to make an educated guess of which size to purchase (plus it’s totally okay to buy mittens slightly bigger than needed!). Considering the winter weather here in Canada so far, I doubt you’ll ever hear someone say that they “don’t need mittens”, plus this is totally something people lose all the time (and the best part is – they’re only $10!) I love these as a gift for anyone, and I’m actually hoping to find a pair in my stocking this year too…
4. 2014 Calendar: Ah the start of the new year, when everyone vouches to be more organized and more productive. So why not assist them in their new year’s resolution keeping and give them the gift of organization? A quick internet search is going to bring up a lot of cute, quirky calendars that anyone can find a use for – whether it has Buddha quotes, pictures of cute little kittens, or something graphically appealing for the more professional type, no one will turn down a good quality calendar, even if it ends up being used as a simple wall decoration. You can find some pretty amazing ones at paper-source.com (although these are a little more expensive, it’s not hard to find cheaper ones elsewhere), I’ve posted a few of my faves below.
5. Candles: Such a classic gift, but I swear they’re enjoyed by anyone and everyone (men – don’t tell me that you haven’t lit a candle to set the mood before… or at least to try to cover the stench of your smelly apartment). And one the greatest things about the holiday season is that all of the scents are so Christmassy – therefore the perfectly festively relevant gift. My go-to store for candles is obviously Bath & Body Works – they sell candles of all shapes and sizes, and always have amazing deals going on. If you wanna go the extra mile, lots of stores also sell luminaries for cheap, which are decorative holders to put the candles in.