As the campaigning continues, a part of me is kicking myself for not introducing myself to more people, sooner. I wish I had been brave enough to say hi to whoever ended up sitting beside me in whichever class all year long; prior to my involvement in the CSMMSS, I wish I would have attended more events to expand my CSMM network as soon as I entered the program… I just wish people knew more about who I really am and what I’m all about.
This is partly why the Relationships aspect of my platform is so important to me. The classmates that I have had the opportunity to get to know on a more personal level have left a lasting impression on my life – inspired me to get involved and put myself out there (sound familiar?), helped give me the confidence to build my dream career, and most importantly, became incredible friends that I can count on for absolutely anything. I am so motivated to build a strong community among the CSMM students, because I truly believe that the relationships we build now will benefit us both personally and professionally, beyond graduation and life at McMaster.
So if you believe in my platform, but we haven’t had the opportunity to meet personally, I wanted to share a little bit about who I am with you. Not only do I think these ten things really define me, but they’re also things I LOVE to talk about. Do we share a common interest? I’d love to know! And even if we don’t, well then I really want to know what you are all about too – so shoot me a message, I love to chat.
1. My perfect Friday night consists of sweatpants, Netflix, and online shopping. I’m a fiend for TV, and can get though an entire series in record time (I think it only took about 2 weeks for me to get through the entire Gossip Girl series, xoxo)
2. I’m super serious about my PR career, and nothing excites me more than knowing I have an opportunity to experience a new industry or organization. Last summer I worked as the Marketing and Public Relations Assistant at African Lion Safari and this summer I’ll be interning in the Communications department of Golf Canada! I’m obsessed with the sports industry, but I hope to experience the fashion and luxury goods industry at some point as well.
3. I have never loved a celebrity more than Britney Spears – I know the lyrics to all of her songs, and I’m planning a Las Vegas trip just so I can see her in concert at Planet Hollywood.
4. The best way to describe me is… hyper organized. I keep two planners (just in case I forget one), and To Do lists are a form of stress relief for me. I swear I feel instantly better after writing out my priorities.
5. Speaking of stress relief – my favourite form of exercise is yoga! I swear it is the only movement that is both relaxing and challenging at the same time. This past year I’ve been trying my hand at Bikram Yoga (the hottest of hot yoga), and for those of you that think yoga is ‘easy’, you wont be thinking that after you practice this form.
6. I grew up in an extremely small town outside of Kitchener, so small it doesn’t even have a Tim Hortons (seriously, those exist). And my high school? Kids rode their tractors to school, and pulled pranks that consisted of letting chickens loose in the hallways.
7. Aaron Paul in Breaking Bad…. need I say more?
8. I have such a soft spot for dogs of all shapes and sizes.. this was partly why I chose to volunteer at the Hamilton Burlington SPCA. I swear some days I can’t even walk through their adoption center because I would just adopt all of them.
9. Basketball is my favourite sport, and the Toronto Raptors are my favourite team. My love for the sport started with Chris Bosh, and then one year I got to go out onto the court. Oh and another time Junkyard Dog smiled and waved at me and I pretty much cried real tears.
10. No matter how many blog posts I publish, I still feel a hint of nervousness knowing all of my thoughts are out there for the world to see. Writing is one of my favourite things to do, and even though my blog is SO public, it’s still such a personal thing to me. I think this is the reason why I refuse to do anything blog-related in public places.
For more information on the election and all of the talented candidates, check out the CSMMSS Facebook page here.